Emil M Friedman, PhD - Consulting, Teaching & Tutoring
NOTE: I am a full-time employee of the MannKind Corporation. However, I can handle moderate size projects for independent clients on weekends or evenings if they do not present a conflict of priorities or interest.
Experienced statistician - strong background in chemistry, polymer science & engineering.
Consulting projects have covered wide variety of (often unique) situations.
Internal statistical consultant for R&D and manufacturing plants. Led collaborative teams to:
define questions and design experiments to answer them,
improve processes & products,
diagnose & solve wide range of technical & quality problems,
remove unnecessary constraints and work around necessary ones.
Devised curriculum & successfully taught applied statistics in industry and online.
Extensive experience with JMP, SAS, and other software.
Invented and developed emulsion polymers & polymer processes to satisfy product needs.
Extensive experience with wide variety of statistical methods.
· Novel pharmaceutical stability studies
· Design & analysis of experiments
· Analysis of available data
· Representative to IPAC-RS Delivered Dose Uniformity (DDU) Working Group
· Design of experiments & multiple criteria optimization for chemical processes.
· Modeled pharmaceutical stability, set tolerance intervals, recommended methodologies, etc.
· Validated complex SAS program for Peto-Pike carcinogenicity studies.
Devised ad hoc sampling plan for unusual situation faced by other
· Developed and simulated (using SAS) Pepsi's "Match 3 for a Tee" game.
· Modeled tire aging for Akron Rubber Development Lab (analogous to Rx stability above).
· Calculated odds of winning various promotional games.
· Designed & analyzed experiments to test new method of removing secretions from endotracheal tubes.
· Designed & analyzed trials to prevent infection by Israel Acute Paralysis Virus.
· Interpreted statistical aspects of DNA data for counsel in criminal trial.
· Identified unexpected spatial component in agricultural data. (http://statisticalconsulting.org/Shafir.pdf)
· Designed and analyzed experiments related to smoke density & heat release (Schneller, Inc).
· Statistically modeled market prices for Booz-Allen-Hamilton.
· Cluster and related analyses for marketing firm.
· Distributional analysis for jitter in oscilloscopes.
SAS Institute, Contract Instructor (Statistics Using JMP Software) 2003 to 2005
“Goodyear Spirit Award”, 1989.
Quotes from performance appraisals: “…recognized and much-sought internal consultant and expert in statistical methods and their application to real problem solving….Excellent listener and dissector of the key needs/wishes of his customers….Focuses their work to answer their desired questions, and creates experimental approaches specific to each problem.” “Emil has internalized the principals of Total Quality Culture”.
· Chaired curriculum committee. Developed, wrote and taught many portions of internal statistics courses, including workshop in Multiple Criteria Optimization. Associates consistently said that I made previously difficult concepts easy to understand.
Reduced measurement variation in
production process by a factor of 10. Team leader, Race Tire Advanced
· Identified root cause of expensive adhesion difficulties.
· Prevented expensive (>$500,000/yr) & unnecessary change in bladder compound.
Extensive experience with wide variety of statistical methods (eg, designed experiments, linear & non-linear regression, assessing measurement systems, sources of variation, Multiple Criteria Optimization, happenstance data, mixed models, ANOVA, ANOCOVA).
Identified root causes of major polymer deficiencies and devised improvements.
Synthesized polymers to meet specific needs. Software development as needed.
Regional Chair, MIT Educational Council ?-2005
Math tutor - supposedly “lost” students achieved A’s in 11th grade math. 2004
Member, American Chemical Soc, American Statistical Assoc
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Chemical Physics, BS. 1968
Invited speaker, ASM International (Akron Chapter), Akron Rubber Group Lecture Series (twice), national meeting of American Chemical Society. Many internal seminars.
4,254013 4,574,140 4,960,819 5,162,425
"Challenges and Opportunities in Implementing the FDA Default Parametric Tolerance Interval Two-One Sided Test for Delivered Dose Uniformity of Orally Inhaled Products", Greg Larner, Andrew Cooper, Svetlana Lyapustina, Stefan Leiner, David Christopher, Helen Strickland, Michael Golden, Hans-Joachim Delzeit, Emil M. Friedman. AAPS PharmaSciTech online first: http://www.springerlink.com/content/f0175288762377v1/
Models for Sequential Storage”, Emil M Friedman and Sam C Shum. AAPS
PharmaSciTech , vol 12, pp 96-103 (2011).
DOI 10.1208/s12249-010-9558-x. (http://statisticalconsulting.org/Stability_Sequential.pdf) Poster by Emil M Friedman at 33rd Annual Midwest Biopharmaceutical
“Inspiratory Efforts Achieved in Use of the
Technosphere® Insulin Inhalation System”,
“NIR Chemical Imaging to Guide/Support BMS-561389 Tablet Formulation Development”, L. Hilden, C.J. Pommiera, S. Badawya, Emil M. Friedman, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 353(1-2), 283 (2008). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2007.11.032
“Modality of Molecular Weight Distributions”, Emil M Friedman, Polymer Engineering and Science, 30, 569 (1990). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pen.760301002
“High Conversion Emulsion Polymerization in a Continuous Reactor: Predictions Using Smith-Ewart Kinetics”, Emil M Friedman, J Polymer Sci, Polym Phys Ed, 18, 1771 (1980). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pol.1980.180180809
“Elastomer Blends – Improved Strength…of Uncured Rubber Compounds”, Emil M Friedman, Richard G Bauer, and Diego C Rubio, in Polymer Alloys, ed D Klempner and K C Frisch (Plenum, NY, 1977), p 51. Also presented at National ACS Meeting.
“Nematic-Like Flow Behavior in a Non-Steroidal
Cholesteric Mesophase”, Emil M Friedman and Roger S Porter, Molecular
“Polymer Viscosity-Molecular Weight Distribution Correlations via Blending…”, Emil M Friedman and Roger S Porter, Transactions of the Society of Rheology, 49, 493, (1975). http://dx.doi.org/10.1122/1.549382
“Effect of a
Cholesteric Texture on X-ray Diffraction…Liquid Crystalline Polypeptides”, Emil
M Friedman and Ryong-Joon Roe, Molecular